Monday, April 22, 2013

Needing Inspiration

I'm finally getting over being sick. I was really quite sick for about 2 weeks, while I was just starting at my new job. So, between training at Tasty Waves, running in and out of the bathroom, and sleeping for hours on end, I feel a little behind in day to day life. As happens, I got better. And with feeling better, I am feeling renewed, ready to seize the day! But, I need inspiration. Now, that might sound crazy living in the jungle, surrounding by amazing plants and animals and meeting new, crazy, interesting people all the time, but it's true, I need inspiration.

I went through some old poems today, ones I had written for an elite Facebook group that was formed way back when, The Poet Laureates of West Oakland. While the other poems are not up for grabs of reposting, as the group is private and respectful, I decided to post two of mine to this blog, so that more people than just our group members can give them a read. Please, if you have any poetry or creative writing that you would like to share with me, send it my way!

My goals for the next few weeks regarding creativity are:
  • Complete one of the mixed media collages for Kickstarter Fullfillment
  • Write one new poem to be posted in Poet Laureates of West Oakland and also on this blog
Let's see how I do!

 Untitiled
Still striving to survive in the shadowy stillness
You built this fortress for a damn good reason which you can't quite remember now, but you're pretty sure it's still worth fighting for, at least you hope.
Seeking guidance from a god-like guru who will help you do
what you know need now be done.
Your empire has become your prison, a labrynth so well fortified that even you can't find your way back out.

So well done! 
The jokes on you now so at least your laughter can echo off the empty walls for no one else to hear.
Time to get moving, put some pep in your step and if you leave now you just might catch the tail end of the double feature that's playing in the old familiar theater that's filled with people that you were supposed to meet there.
 
My Life
It all feels so fake.
Like I'm waking up for the first time to realize that all this is nothing more than
plastic pawns on a cheap, cardboard chessboard.
If it was carved from marble or mahogany, it wouldn't seem so bad.
But this, it's all I can do to wait for that day when I hear,
"Pass Go, Collect $200", and then, just like that,
Without waiting to say Sorry,
Like a Hungry Hippo, I'm off!

Down secret Chutes and up Hidden ladders.
If I hurry, I'll be gone before you have the chance to sink my battleship.
Careful! Don't break the ice or someone will notice I'm sneaking out, through the Ballroom, with the revolver, and Mrs. Peacock is on my ass!
If I can just make it through this Candy Land of distractions and demons.
One wrong move, and KeRplUnK! It could all be over before I know it.

But like Magic Gathering, there are tricks up my sleeve.
And I'm willing to take the Risk, because you have no idea how well I know my way around this Mousetrap.
I have moves like you've never seen, the likes of which will Boggle your mind.
I will get out of this Barrel of Monkeys and when I do, I'll be the one yelling
YAHTZEE!

Because this is no Trivial Pursuit here.
This is my Life.
And this is one game, I plan on winning.

**Warning: The game is rigged. You can't lose if you don't play the game.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment